NEW HISTORIC MARKERS
We received great news: the William G. Pomeroy Foundation has approved the funding for two historic roadside markers for the Town of Knox. Through the efforts of Dan Driscoll and Ray Hand, we'll be installing the blue-and-yellow markers in 2015. One will commemorate the old Palatine Trail between Albany and Schoharie. The other will mark the location of the third toll gate on the old Schoharie Plank Road.
At the Dec. 1, 2015 meeting members discussed KHS activities held in 2015 and ideas for 2016.
Basswood trees have been planted next to the Saddlemire Homestead. The native basswood trees provided the wood for the pill-box industry.
Dennis Barber, President of the KHS, brought a gavel and base to our meeting, made from wood with a history. In August 2015 the KHS dedicated an historic marker on Route 146, Toll Gate #3 on the Albany-Schoharie Plank Road. This Plank Road was built in 1849 and the corporation was dissolved in 1867. In the 1970s, The Plankroaders, a Knox civic group, named their group after this Plank Road. The Plankroaders made a gavel and base from wood from the old Plank Road and donated it to the Knox Historical Society when their group disbanded in 2001.